Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Strawberries, Strawberries, Strawberries

I hit the Boone Hall Farm U-Pick strawberry patch over the weekend with The Eight-Year-Old, The Three-Year-Old, and The-Eight-Year-Old's-Friend. Three free jump castles are only part of the draw. We spent about ten minutes picking berries and those little fingers--even The Three-Year-Old's--are surprisingly nimble. I'd barely had time to turn around before we had four buckets groaning with fresh red berries.



I spent the rest of the weekend trying to figure out what to do with all the bounty. Strawberry waffles, strawberry-basil mojitos, strawberry sorbet--and I still had a massive bag left, starting to show those signs of darkening and turning to mush. So, I sliced the rest and macerated them with sugar and put them in the freezer.

If I invite you over for dinner anytime in the next three months, don't be surprised if the dessert menu features strawberries . . .

4 comments:

JohnMoss said...

I quiclky glanced at your first sentence and read, "I hit the Boone's Farm..." Man, I thought you'd really lowered your standards, and was about to send an emergency shipment of California pinot noir!

Robert said...

Hmm . . . maybe you ought to go ahead and send that emergency shipment just in case!

Robin@ Good for the Palate said...

Do you know where to find all of the Boon Hall events? P.S. Liked your post about the difference between Boone Hall and Boone's Farm.

Robert said...

Thanks, Robin. I usually check out the Boone Hall website here:

http://boonehallplantation.com/events.php

Not sure if this has everything, but it's got the big ones (like the upcoming BBQ festival!)

Popular Posts