Monday, April 07, 2008

Tipping Continued



Has anyone been following the ongoing brouhaha at Starbucks over baristas having to share tips with their managers? Now baristas in New York have filed a class action lawsuit.

What amazes me about this story is not the dispute itself--which seems to me like a pretty run-of-the-mill business story to me--but rather the passion that any discussion of tipping like this seems to elicit, a subject I dug into myself quite some time ago.

Let those heated comments fly!

2 comments:

DanB said...

Seems to me if these places want to increase their haul in the tip jar, they would do the following. Seed a few ones, and don't make the jar too big, so if you drop a coin in everyone in the place hears it. So with your seeded squaty tip jar, give people one dollar coins and halves in their change, so they don't mind dropping that in the jar.

Rachel Luxemburg said...

It may not sound like much, but I can tell you from personal experience that the extra $100 to $150 a month in tips that an average barista makes is not chump change, especially when you're trying to live on a barista salary.

Popular Posts