Saturday, April 26, 2008

Beat the Rush: Eat Native


Janet over at Foodperson.com just posted a bit about "Bison Nation" that is not only interesting but hints at the birth of the next foodie trend. I should have seen coming long ago but I somehow missed it. It's the logical extension of "locavorism" and not just takes things to the next level but has the added advantage of making it even more difficult for people to be able to eat in an ideologically-correct way.

I'm going to call it "eating native", and I'll bet you'll be hearing a lot more of it in the upcoming year or so. Eating local is usually defined as eating only things produced within an 100 or so mile radius of where you live. Eating native ups the ante and means eating only things produced locally that are native to the region. So, here in Lowcountry South Carolina shrimp and grits are just fine (I think), but that Hoppin' John has got to go because it uses rice and cowpeas, both of which are fairly recent imports from Africa. Out in Kansas, Foodperson has a steady diet of bison, pawpaws, and prarie turnips to look foward to.

You heard it here first . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robert. Thanks for the shoutout. FYI, the link to the related post on Ethicurean.com is active now, too, if you want to read more about going native.

Robert said...

Thanks, Janet. The Ethicurean post is a nice addition and helps confirm my suspicion that "eating native" is on its way in.

Anonymous said...

I swear the more I read the more I want to say to hell with it all. It's not the idea, because I can kind of see it, it's the attitude that often accompanies the effort.

Popular Posts