Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Simple Tomato Salad (Again)


Andrea over at Andrea's Recipes has created the "Grow Your Own" event for bloggers to post about their favorite dishes using one or more ingredients grown either in their own gardens or acquired as gifts from someone else's garden. In my case, that ingredient would be tomatoes which, unfortunately, I don't grow in my own garden but am still lucky to receive as regular gift from my father, who's been growing tomatoes in his backyard for as long as I can remember.


I've written about this recipe in the past, but it's so good that it bears repeating, especially considering I make it at least once a week for as long as tomatoes are in season. It's my favorite kind of salad--one that dispenses with the idle fluff of greens and cuts straight to the good stuff.

Start with an equal number of fresh tomatoes and hardboiled eggs. Slice the tomatoes about an inch thick and place on a flat serving dish. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and black pepper. Slice the eggs and place one piece atop each tomato slice. For the dressing, whisk together olive oil with vinegar, dijon mustard, and a little honey. Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes, toss ver some chopped parsely, and serve.

With good, fresh homegrown tomatoes, this one can't be beat.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I agree, simple is best when it comes to enjoying fresh tomatoes, and yours look delicious! Thanks for participating in Grow Your Own!

Popular Posts