Saturday, August 18, 2007

The New Rubber Chicken


I travel a lot for work, and I attend a lot of meetings where lunch is brought in. And, invariably, whether I'm in San Francisco or Des Moines or Boston, that lunch is likely to be some sort of "wrap"--meaning turkey or ham or tuna wrapped up with lettuce, tomato, and condiments inside a flour tortilla. Sometimes it's a whole wheat tortilla, sometimes a green-tinged spinach one, but the concept is pretty much the same.
What's the deal, folks? Does anyone out there really like wraps? Maybe their popularity at business luncheons is simply due to the fact that they are so boring and plain and bland that they couldn't possibly offend anyone?
The next time I'm tasked with ordering in lunch for a meeting, I'm going with a 5-pound tub of pulled pork from Bessinger's Barbecue, a loaf of Sunbeam bread, pickles, and a bottle of good old South Carolina mustard-based barbecue sauce. And two quarts of hash for good measure.
Cause I can't take another wrap.

No comments:

Popular Posts