Friday, May 18, 2012

Contrary to Rumors, I Do NOT Have Gout

Two months ago I wrote an article for the City Paper about fresh local asparagus. One of my interviewees told me that he loved asparagus but had to stop eating it because it aggravated his gout. I didn't know asparagus aggravated the gout . . . in fact, I knew almost nothing about the gout at all. So I did a little Googling to educate myself. (Turns out asparagus does stir it up, by the way.)

Now, anytime I visit a site that has ads on it, I'm inundated by ads for gout remedy and gout studies and all things gout-related on every site I visit--including my own damn blog.


Let's clear this up once and for all. I DO NOT HAVE THE GOUT!

But, jeez, aren't those Google ads creepy? Careful what you search for.

And, yes, asparagus, it turns out, makes everyone's pee stinky, too. In fact, those people who think it doesn't have that effect on them simply, for some unknown reason, can't smell it. I would post a link to supporting information on this, but Lord only knows what ads that would unleash on my browser.  Google it yourself if you don't believe me.

1 comment:

Maria Norcia Santillanes said...

That gave me a good chuckle. I've had that happen to me, not with the gout, of course but with other just as annoying ads. Yes ... it's very creepy and looking at my computer screen was not a happy affair. Thankfully, I only have ads for Lilly Pulitzer and Sundance catalog just now. Guess that shows where my mind has been.
Ahh ... thank you,
~M

Popular Posts