Thursday, October 26, 2006

Synergy


In the past I've written about two of my absolutely favorite dishes: roasted chicken and roasted potatoes. These have become old standbys in my house, and we have them at least once a week. Lately, I've taken to combining the two, with superb results. Just prep the chicken as in the normal recipe and put it in a large baking pan, then cut up the potatoes and spread them around the chicken in the pan, and put it in the oven. Every fifteen minutes or so, remove the pan and stir the potatoes around so they get good and coated in the melted chicken fat and spices. It's ready in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

This technique not only makes the preparation easier but cuts down the clean up, too: a true one dish meal. And, since I usually cover the leftover bird with plastic wrap and put the whole pan in the refrigerator, I usually don't even have to wash the pan that night.

Best of all, potatoes roasted in chicken fat are fabulous--rich and tender and spiced just right. So good, in fact, that it has made me want to start exploring cooking with schmaltz--if it makes potatoes so wonderful, imagine what it might do for other foods?

No comments:

Popular Posts