Sunday, March 30, 2008

U-Pick Strawberries



Yesterday we hit the U-pick strawberry patch out at Boone Hall.







Last night, it was Strawberry Cobbler for dessert. I had all the best intentions of doing up a big pie, but by the time I got into the kitchen it was already after six and I just wasn't up to rolling pie crust. This cobbler recipe is an old fallback that I got from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and he credits it to John Willoughby, who supposedly found it in a Southern boardinghouse. I call BS on that last bit since Willoughby isn't all that old, and have you heard of anyone staying in boardinghouses since the era of Thomas Wolfe? (I'd believe "bed-and-breakfast" . . .). Anyhow, it's a great, simple recipe, and i've made it time and again with fresh strawberries with great result.

You just slice the strawberries, toss them with sugar, and put them in a baking pan. For the crust, you cut a stick of butter into a half cup of flour in a food processor, then mix in an egg and a little vanilla, then drop the dough by the spoonful over the top of the strawberries. You can literally throw the thing together and have it in the oven in less than five minutes. 40 or 45 minutes at 375 degrees and you have a golden, crusty treat.





It's perfect with a scoop of ice cream over the top.

8 comments:

Columbus Foodie said...

You guys have strawberries already? I'm so jealous. We still have at least 2 months before strawberries are out in full force here in Ohio.

Robert said...

CF: Early strawberries are one of the great advantages of being this far South. And we pay dearly for it when the heat and humidity set in in mid-May and stick around until October!

Coleen said...

Hello! I'm new to Charleston and just stumbled across your delicious blog. To pick strawberries, do I go to the Boone Hall Plantation or the Market? I’m looking forward to trying your Strawberry Cobbler recipe with my fresh picked strawberries! Thanks!

Robert said...

Hi, Coleen. Glad you stopped by.

For the U-Pick strawberries, you go to the farm entrance off of Highway 17, which if you are heading north up 17 from downtown Charleston is on the left side of the road just past Long Point Road and just before you get to the market. You turn in on the dirt road, and there's a big sign saying whether the U-Pick is open or not.

Coleen said...

Thanks for the great directions! My son and I had a blast picking strawberries yesterday.

workinthatpreppy said...

wow..yummy. thanks for the recipe..we had strawberry shortcake on my birthday! cute pick from the dtrawberry farm...

Anonymous said...

I will have to give Boone Hall a try. Recently went strawberry picking on Wadmalaw at Ambrosia Farms, it's fun. Made over 15 jars of preserves.

Helene said...

That strawberry cobbler looks amazing Robert!

Popular Posts