Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pork Sandwich Showdown: Nouveau Yankee Que vs. Classic Southern Sandwiches

Check out these pics from the Boston Globe of the barbecue sandwiches at the Beantown barbecue joint called Tremont 467. Then, head over to Garden & Gun and peruse their photo lineup of the Top 21 BBQ Sandwiches in the South.  Notice any differences between North and South? (Ignore that one G&G pic of the Korean pork sandwich: it's "fusion" to begin with and comes from Atlanta, no less.)

Now, don't get me wrong. Those Boston boys probably cook up some pretty tasty barbecue. But what's up with the massive haystack of meat, the groaning bun, and drizzles of sauce on the plate.  And is that slaw or kimchi cascading out of the bun? It looks like someone might have dropped the damn thing.

Some time ago I weighed in on how to create a great barbecue sandwich, noting that it's "an exercise in balance, with just the right ratio of meat to sauce to bun."  And, you have to add in a little slaw or pickle to add crunch and tang. The picks from Garden & Gun are bear this out. Check out the spartan simplicity of Jackie Hite's entry from Leesville, SC; the balance of bun, meat, pickle, and onion from the Old Hickory Pitt Bar-B-Q in Owensboro, KY; and, the controlled heft of the sandwich from Red Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby, NC.

There's a reason these are classics.

15 comments:

NMissC said...

Enjoyed the post and had some fun with it on my blog...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Well said. I am just not sure that there is anything better than a Red Bridges sandwich.

Robert said...

Love your post, NMissC, and I have to agree. American cheese on a barbecue sandwich? Gasp.

splice: I'm a big fan of Red Bridges, too, and manage to stop in every of couple of years when I'm passing near Shelby.

credit repair company said...


Wow!! What an excellent composing, really I appreciate such type of subjects. It will be very beneficial for us. Awaiting more content, weblogs like this.

wasim said...

In a review you are discussing the overall effect and validity of a work, while in a literary essay you are paying greater attention to specifics.
dissertation writing

bmw hood emblem said...


You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.

lorina21 said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. Keep it guys and more power!

phoenix personal injury lawyer

lorina21 said...

Hi there, You've performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this site.



stryker lawsuit

lorina21 said...

I have not been this thrilled by a blog post for quite some time! You’ve got it, whatever that means in blogging. Anyway, You’re definitely someone that has something to say that people should hear.

mirena iud lawyer

lorina21 said...

Some of the information in your article is which I have not aware of. I like the article. It is informative. Looking forward to read many more such informative articles and blog posts.




da vinci robot lawyer

lorina21 said...

I read and walked for miles at night along the beach, writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that that person could be me.


lipitor news info

proook430 said...

Looks really delicious!

Anonymous said...

hеy there and thank you for уour information – I have
certainly picked up anythіng new from right here. І ԁid however expeгtise some technical issues usng this web sіte, as I eхperienced to rеload the website lots oof times previous to I cоuld get it to load сorrectly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish lοading inѕtances times will often affect your placement in google and can damagе
your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Αdwordѕ.
Anyway І'm adding thіs RSS to my e-mail and caan look
out for much more оof your respective intеresting content.
Make sure you update this again vеry soon.

Feel frre to visit my blog kіdney herbs ()

juegosfriv2018.live said...

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I ave joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I ave shared your site in my social networks!
http://www.juegosfriv2018.live/burnin-rubber/

reginald surict said...

Nice post. I also recommend you to read this article.

Popular Posts