Saturday, January 14, 2012

Scenes from the Road: New Orleans

Just after Christmas, I went away with my wife for a child-free four days in New Orleans, where we proceeded to eat and drink our way across the city.  I've been meaning to write up a thing or two about the trip, but there are so many things to say about it that it's hard to say anything at all.  So, I'll take the easy way out and just post a few pictures from the visit.

Roast Beef Poor Boy, R & Os, less than an hour after landing at Louis Armstrong International


The eponymous cocktail at the Sazerac Bar, Roosevelt Hotel





The Carousel Bar at the Hotel Montleone, Home of the Vieux Carre Cocktail



Pork debris, poached eggs, and hollandaise over sliced biscuit: insanely good.  The Ruby Slipper.


The aftermath of a Ferdi Special and cup of red beans and rice at Mother's, Poydras St.

Shuckin' 'em at the oyster bar, Acme Oyster House. Always sit at the oyster bar, and treat your shucker well.  The oysters will be unbelievable cold and fresh, and your dozen may magically stretch its way well into the teens.


    Early afternoon cocktails in the courtyard at Commander's Palace

    Cornbread-Stuffed Quail, Commander's Palace


    No pictures available from the two big dinners: the first at Antoine's (highlights: chair de crabes au gratin and souffle potatoes) and Galatoire's (highlight: crabmeat maison).  At both, it was a rare pleasure to put on a coat and tie for dinner, and in such traditional settings snapping cellphone pics seemed completely out of the question.

    I do have a ton of material reflecting on New Orleans cooking, how it compares to the scene here in Charleston, etc. etc. etc.  Some day it may see the light.  But for now I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.


    1 comment:

    ylhl said...

    Great pics Robert! If I lived in NOLA, I would be as wide as I am tall. I hope you got a few benyas at Cafe Du Monde.

    Popular Posts