Monday, November 15, 2010

Why My Wife Won't (and No One Else Will, For That Matter) Watch a Movie With Me

We rented the Sherlock Holmes movie tonight--you know, the recent Sherlock-kicks-a-lot-of-butt one starring Robert Downey, Jr..  Four minutes into the film there's this little exchange of action-movie banter:

Dr. John Watson: You remember your revolver?
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, knew I forgot something. Thought I left the stove on.
Dr. John Watson: You did.
Me: LEFT THE STOVE ON?  Are you KIDDING me?  This thing is set in 1890. 
The Wife:  Just let it go, honey.
Me: There were no electric stoves in 1890!!!
The Wife: Maybe he left a wood stove on.
Me: How do you leave a WOOD stove on?

Someone at IMDB have tracked down a bunch of other anachronisms and recorded them here, but I've not seen anyone bothered by the stove thing yet.  Doesn't matter.  After four minutes I was done.  From the few glimpses I got passing through the living room for the rest of the night, it doesn't look like I missed much.

No comments:

Popular Posts