Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Happy 120th, Ray


An old co-worker of mine emailed me to remind me that today is mystery novelist Raymond Chandler's 120th birthday. What better way to celebrate than with a gimlet, the cocktail that plays such a central, nostalgic role in Chandler's best novel, The Long Good-bye.

Chandler claimed that, "A real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's Lime Juice and nothing else." He was either a little nuts or liked a mouthful of tartness. A gimlet is basically a martini with Rose's rather than vermouth: a better ratio is 3 parts gin to 1 part Rose's.

But, whatever the ratio, the drink will always be a sentimental favorite for me. So, to Ray, whereever you are, here's a gimlet toast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have not had one in a long time. 1 to 1 would be too sweet for me. My old Playboy bar book says 2 oz. to 1/2 oz.
Neponset

Anonymous said...

I'm more of a Lime Rickey kind of guy, but a Gimlet works in a pinch, I guess.

Seriously, though, its hard to believe Chandler would have been 120.

Popular Posts